More by Lisa
Thinking about making the keto diet your new solution to shedding some pounds? Then it’s time to find out what foods you can eat on keto—and we’ve got you covered!
According to the Cleveland Clinic, a keto high-fat eating plan aims to change your metabolism from carbohydrate to fat; the theory is that you’ll then burn fat using ketones as energy as opposed to glucose. A fat-based diet like keto will stop your insulin levels from spiking when you eat, so you don’t store fat.
Then, your liver will make ketones, so your energy is compensated for. Within a couple if days on a keto plan (eating between 70-80% fat, 15-25% protein, and around 5-10% carbohydrate), your metabolism will most likely get faster and you’ll start losing weight. You want to focus on eating “good” fats on keto, which are unsaturated and monounsaturated.
So what foods can you eat exactly on keto? Focus on your favorites, but don’t be afraid to try new things, too—being on keto can truly open up your taste buds, in addition to shrinking your waistline.
Keto diet foods
Keto dairy foods
1. Butter. Cooking with it on Keto is OK.
2. Heavy cream. Add it to recipes rather than the low-fat variety.
3. Plain yogurt. Make it high-fat, but avoid any sugary varieties.
4. Mayonnaise. Top a cheeseburger with it instead of ketchup.
5. Sour cream. Use as a dip with veggies, avoid reduced-fat.
6. Cottage cheese. High in protein and calcium, cottage cheese can be a great mid-day snack.
7. Cream cheese. Surprisingly delicious with berries! Give it a try.
8. Parmesan cheese. Tasty with veggies for a quick lunch.
9. Swiss cheese. Packs a protein punch, with 27 grams per serving.
10. Feta cheese. Make a Greek salad with feta, bell peppers, olives and onion—so good!
11. Cheddar cheese. The ideal addition to a Chef’s salad with egg, ham, chicken, lettuce, onion and dressing.
12. Brie cheese. Protein-rich and rich-tasting, too.
13. Monterey jack cheese. Mix with scrambled eggs for a different spin on breakfast.
omad keto plateau ⭐️how to omad keto plateau for 14. Mozzarella cheese. Go Caprese by adding tomato and dressing, and season to taste.
omad keto plateau 👍how to omad keto plateau for 15. Bleu cheese. Add to ground beef burgers with fresh onion and lettuce.
16. Plain Greek yogurt. No need to give up your favorite breakfast on keto!
Related: 18 Keto Breakfasts
Keto protein sources
17. Eggs. The perfect solution for breakfast, lunch or dinner? A cheesy, veggie-filled omelet.
18. Salmon. Heart-healthy and packed with Vitamin D.
19. Tuna. Tuna salad for lunch on the go is perfectly keto.
20. Mackerel. Try this tasty fish if you haven’t—it may become a go-to.
21. Clams. Steamers with drawn butter seem like a luxury, not diet food.
22. Mussels. Another real treat when you serve them steamed.
23. Squid. Sautée for 1 last update 2020/07/08 with butter, garlic, onion, parmesan and lime juice.23. Squid. Sautée with butter, garlic, onion, parmesan and lime juice.
24. Chicken. Avoid breaded varieties, but baked or stir-fry chicken with a big salad is perfect for dinner.
25. Turkey. From roast turkey to deep-fried to deli meat, turkey is a great keto option.
26. Bacon. Have it with eggs to get your day off to a substantial start.
27. Sausage. Any kind is for 1 last update 2020/07/08 fine—delicious with bell pepper and onion.27. Sausage. Any kind is fine—delicious with bell pepper and onion.
28. Goat. If you’re a meat eater, you can give it a try if you’re curious.
29 Liver. If you think you don’t like liver, reconsider—this iron-rich organ meat is great with onions.
30. Trout. Rich in Vitamin B12.
31. Halibut. An excellent source of Vitamin V12, too, as well as Vitamin B6, magnesium and potassium.
33. Cod. Delicious when sautéed with olive oil and pepper.
34. Catfish. Try baking it with oil, cayenne pepper and lemon juice.
35. Mahi-mahi. Delicious when prepared with lemon juice, basil and pepper.
36. Quail. It can be roasted like chicken.
37. Duck. Duck can be as well.
38. Heart. If you’re up for the challenge … organ meats are A-OK on keto!
39. Tongue. Again … if you’re up for it …
40. Kidney. Don’t let us stop you!
41. Hen. Can be roasted like chicken as well, as can …
42. Goose. As can …
43. Pheasant. A good source of phosphorus and selenium.
44. Venison. Low in saturated fat.
45. Steak. Enjoy your favorite cut along with a salad and/or sautéed veggies.
46. Veal. Make a keto-friendly veal parm by baking with fresh tomato and cheese.
47. Roast beef. Enjoy with cheddar cheese and salad.
48. Ground beef. A burger on keto can be topped with any number of cheeses or veggies, plus condiments.
49. Oysters. Try baking them with cream and cheddar cheeses, plus bacon … a new taste sensation.
50. Shrimp. Mix with mayo and celery for a simple but delicious shrimp salad.
51. Crab. High in folate.
52. Snapper. A good source of niacin.
53. Lobster. Enjoy it with butter—a great benefit the 1 last update 2020/07/08 of keto!53. Lobster. Enjoy it with butter—a great benefit of keto!
54. Roast pork. Serve it with seasoned sautéed veggies the 1 last update 2020/07/08 for a weekend meal.54. Roast pork. Serve it with seasoned sautéed veggies for a weekend meal.
55. Pork tenderloin. Makes delicious leftovers for lunch when you pair it with high-fat cheese.
56. Pork chops. Sauté in olive oil and season to taste.
57. Beef ribs. Skip the high-sugar barbecue sauce—you may find the taste of the meat itself is much more satisfying.
58. Lamb. Roast it with garlic, olive oil and rosemary.
59. Flounder. A great source of Vitamin D.
60. Scallops. Sautéed in butter—simple and delicious.
61. Ham. Fry up ham slices for a quick and easy dinner, served with seasoned summer squash—a great combo.
62. Ground pork. You can use it to make burgers in a fresh way.
63. Sardines. You can take them on the go and snack from the can—convenient if you like the taste.
Healthy Now Tip
Keto diet oils
omad keto plateau 🔥how to omad keto plateau for In addition to butter, you can cook with any of these on keto:
64. Extra virgin olive oil
65. Coconut oil
66. Avocado oil
67. Palm oil
68. Cocoa butter
omad keto plateau ☑how to omad keto plateau for 70. Poultry fat
Keto diet veggies
Any of the vegetables below can be used in any combination to make a keto salad with high-fat dressing. Keep in mind that avocado is especially useful on keto because it’s rich in good fat, so enjoy it often.
78. Swiss chard
the 1 last update 2020/07/08 80. Spinach80. Spinach
81. Bok choy
omad keto plateau 🔥how to omad keto plateau for for 1 last update 2020/07/08 83. Arugula83. Arugula
85. Brussels sprouts
87. Bell peppers
omad keto plateau 🔥how to omad keto plateau for 89. Celery
90. Summer squash
for 1 last update 2020/07/08 91. Zucchini91. Zucchini
92. Black olives
93. Green olives
94. Red olives
Keto diet fruits
Because you want to limit sugar on the keto diet, most fruits are off-limits. However, the fruits below, especially berries, are OK to consume in moderation. Mix a fruit salad of three of the fruits below to eat as a yummy breakfast, snack or dessert. Top with heavy whipped cream if you want as well.
omad keto plateau ⭐️how to omad keto plateau for 95. Raspberries
omad keto plateau 🔴how to omad keto plateau for 97. Blackberries
omad keto plateau ⭐️how to omad keto plateau for 100. Cranberries
Keto diet nuts and seeds
The perfect snack to carry with you at all times? A bag of nuts and seeds mixed from the list below. Choose any of the listed ones you love, and mix with a few berries, such as cranberries, for a keto-friendly trail mix.
the 1 last update 2020/07/08 105. Pecans105. Pecans
omad keto plateau ⭐️how to omad keto plateau for 106. Chia seeds
107. Sesame seeds
108. Pumpkin seeds
109. Hemp seeds
110. Flax the 1 last update 2020/07/08 seeds110. Flax seeds
111. Macadamia the 1 last update 2020/07/08 nuts111. Macadamia nuts
the 1 last update 2020/07/08 112. Pecans112. Pecans
omad keto plateau ⭐️how to omad keto plateau for 113. Brazil the 1 last update 2020/07/08 nuts113. Brazil nuts
Keto diet herbs and spices
Feel free to add any of the following to recipes on keto, or use them to season meals.
for 1 last update 2020/07/08 116. Basil116. Basil
omad keto plateau 👍how to omad keto plateau for 117. Oregano
omad keto plateau 🔴how to omad keto plateau for 120. Thyme
omad keto plateau 🔴how to omad keto plateau for 121. Cilantro
122. Cayenne pepper
123. Chili powder
127. Lemon juice
128. Lime the 1 last update 2020/07/08 juice128. Lime juice
More keto diet foods
131. Dark chocolate. A piece after dinner can feel like a decadent treat—but it’s allowed.
132. Cocoa. Drink the unsweetened kind.
omad keto plateau 🔥how to omad keto plateau for 133. Coffee. Don’t add sugar and you’re good to go.
134. Tea. You also want to skip sugar here as well.
135. Yellow mustard. Use as sauce to compliment fish dishes; it’s a surprisingly tasty combination.
136. Red wine vinegar. Feel free to add for 1 last update 2020/07/08 it to recipes as you cook.136. Red wine vinegar. Feel free to add it to recipes as you cook.
137. Ketchup. Read the label to make sure you’re choosing the reduced-sugar variety.
omad keto plateau 🔴how to omad keto plateau for 138. Mayonnaise-based salad dressing. Mix with raw veggies and season to taste for a side dish.
139. Horseradish. If you love the taste, go for it!
140. Hot sauce. You can enjoy it as hot as you can stand!
141. Worcestershire sauce. Can add flair to almost any meat dish.
omad keto plateau 👍how to omad keto plateau for 142. Sauerkraut. Make sure the one you pick has no added sugars.
143. High-fat Thousand Island salad dressing
144. High-fat ranch salad dressing
145. High-fat French salad dressing
146. High-fat the 1 last update 2020/07/08 Russian salad dressing146. High-fat Russian salad dressing
147. High-fat Bleu Cheese salad dressing
148. High-fat creamy Italian salad dressing
149. Stevia sweetener. A natural choice.
150. Erythritol sweetener. Another way to indulge your sweet tooth naturally.
151. Monk fruit sweetener. Another healthy natural sweetener.
152. Xylitol sweetener. Yet another great non-sugar the 1 last update 2020/07/08 option.152. Xylitol sweetener. Yet another great non-sugar option.
153. Shirataki noodles. They’re water-based and can powerfully curb hunger—give them a try!
Follow these tips to avoid the dreaded keto flu.